Museum Home
Advanced Search

Photograph (B/W) Fire from 3rd Story, Corner of Tempe Union High School in 1955

Object Name: Print, photographic
Date: 1/13/1955
5 x 7 in. (12.7 x 17.8 cm)
Medium: Paper
Catalog number: 2004.45.11
DescriptionPhotograph shows fire that consumed the original Tempe High School on the corner of University Drive & Mill Avenue on January 13, 1955.

This building was no longer in use as a school campus at the time of the fire. The new Tempe Union High School located at Broadway and Mill Avenue opened in 1953, and all students transferred to the new campus. The architect for the new school campus was Kemper Goodwin.
ProvenanceFrom a collection of photographs donated by Patricia Wright. The donor's father was William (Bill) Hurlburt Wood. Bill Wood started the Pioneer Camera Shop in 1951, located in Tempe originally at 51/2 E. 5th Street. It later moved to Tempe Center, and was sold in 1961.
Many of the photographs in the collection were taken by Wood. They for the most part date to the years that he owned the camera shop, from 1951 - 1961.

Tempe History Museum, 809 East Southern Avenue, Tempe, AZ 85282 | (480) 350-5100 | Contact Us | City of Tempe
Disclaimer: All Images and Information provided in this website © 2016 City of Tempe, AZ. All Rights Reserved. Powered by eMuseum.