Museum Home
Advanced Search

Photograph (B/W) Tempe Union High School Fire - 1955

Object Name: Print, photographic
Date: 1/13/1955
Dimensions:
5 x 7 in. (12.7 x 17.8 cm)
Medium: Paper
Catalog number: 2004.45.12
DescriptionPhotograph of the 1955 fire that consumed Tempe Union High School. Note smoke coming from the 3rd floor windows.

Photograph shows fire that consumed the original Tempe High School on the corner of University Drive & Mill Avenue on January 13, 1955.

This building was no longer in use as a school campus at the time of the fire. The new Tempe Union High School located at Broadway and Mill Avenue opened in 1953, and all students transferred to the new campus. The architect for the new school campus was Kemper Goodwin.
ProvenanceFrom a collection of photographs donated by Patricia Wright. The donor's father was William (Bill) Hurlburt Wood. Bill Wood started the Pioneer Camera Shop in 1951, located in Tempe originally at 51/2 E. 5th Street. It later moved to Tempe Center, and was sold in 1961.
Many of the photographs in the collection were taken by Wood. They for the most part date to the years that he owned the camera shop, from 1951 - 1961.

Tempe History Museum, 809 East Southern Avenue, Tempe, AZ 85282 | (480) 350-5100 | Contact Us | City of Tempe
Disclaimer: All Images and Information provided in this website © 2016 City of Tempe, AZ. All Rights Reserved. Powered by eMuseum.