Museum Home
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Cigarette Roller

Object Name: Cigarette Roller
Date: c1930
Dimensions:
2 1/2 x 4 x 2 1/4 in. (6.4 x 10.2 x 5.7 cm)
Medium: Metal, Cardboard
Catalog number: 1999.28.215
DescriptionMetal Stant, 2 rollers, 1 crank metal, black box
ProvenanceCresensio "Chris" Sigala was born in Sonora, Mexico. In 1874, and was brought to Tempe as a child. He grew up in a house on Creamery road (Now known as Old 8th Street). His stepfather, Miguel Oviedo, owned a grocery store across the street from Pacific Creamery.
Chris Sigala was actively involved in the business and civic affairs of Tempe around the turn of the century. He attended the Territorial Normal School (now Arizona State University) and played on the school's football team when it won its first victory over the University of Arizona in 1899. He worked as a typesetter for the Tempe Daily News for nearly twenty years. Then, in 1917, he opened a grocery store on Dewey Street, where the ASU Palo Verde dormitories are now located.
Through much of his life, Mr. Sigala also worked in law enforcement. He was elected constable of Tempe in 1904 and later served as both a deputy sheriff and an assistant fire chief. He also enlisted in the Arizona National Guard and served for more than twenty years. He eventually became a commander of Tempe's Company C, which was called upon to help maintain order during the Morenci copper mine strike in 1915.
Chris Sigala was also involved in early civil rights activities in Arizona. He was one of the founders of the Tempe lodge of the Liga Protectora Latina (Latin Protection League). This mutual aid society provided insurance benefits to its members, but also led rallies to protest the segregation of public schools and discrimination in employment. Sigala was president of the Tempe lodge from 1915-1917, and served a year as vice president of the organization's Supreme (national) Council. This collection documents the life of Chris Sigala and offers a glimpse into Tempe daily life in the early 1900s. The collection was donated by his son, Charles Sigala, in 1994.



Tempe History Museum, 809 East Southern Avenue, Tempe, AZ 85282 | (480) 350-5100 | Contact Us | City of Tempe
Disclaimer: All Images and Information provided in this website © 2016 City of Tempe, AZ. All Rights Reserved. Powered by eMuseum.